On a New List of Categories
MyWikiBiz, Author Your Legacy — Tuesday May 30, 2023Jump to navigationJump to search
On a New List of Categories is a paper by Charles Sanders Peirce, presented to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences on 14 May 1867 and published in its Proceedings the following year, that proposes to revise the fundamental metaphysical categories of philosophy, as previously given by Aristotle, Kant, Hegel, and others. Peirce scholars generally regard this "New List" as breaking the ground for a major wing of Peirce's "architectonic", his blueprint for a pragmatic philosophy.
- Peirce, C.S. (1867), "On a New List of Categories", Proceedings of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences 7 (1868), 287–298. Presented, 14 May 1867. Reprinted (CP 1.545–559), (CE 2, 49–59), (EP 1, 1–10).
- Peirce, C.S., Collected Papers of Charles Sanders Peirce, vols. 1–6, Charles Hartshorne and Paul Weiss (eds.), vols. 7–8, Arthur W. Burks (ed.), Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA, 1931–1935, 1958. Cited as CP (volume).(paragraph).
- Peirce, C.S., Writings of Charles S. Peirce, A Chronological Edition, Peirce Edition Project (eds.), Indiana University Press, Bloomington and Indianoplis, IN, 1981–. Cited as CE (volume), (page).
- Peirce, C.S., The Essential Peirce, Selected Philosophical Writings, Volume 1 (1867–1893), Nathan Houser and Christian Kloesel (eds.), Indiana University Press, Bloomington and Indianapolis, IN, 1992. Cited as EP 1, (page).
- Arisbe • The Peirce Gateway, Joseph Ransdell (ed.)
- Peirce, C.S. (1867), “On a New List of Categories”, Online.