Quickly add a free MyWikiBiz directory listing!
SMART (Northern Irish Business Grant)
MyWikiBiz, Author Your Legacy — Saturday May 25, 2013
Structure of Invest Northern Ireland
SMART is one of a range of government–sponsored programmes run by Invest Northern Ireland. Daily business is conducted by an independent Board and overseen by the Government Minister for the Department of Enterprise Trade and Investment (DETI). Invest NI is used to implement the government policy of stimulating new businesses in areas of high unemployment like Northern Ireland. SMART spreads the high costs and associated risks of research and development for new, innovation-based businesses, and so encourages their start-up.
Eligibility for awards
In general, SMART is open to individuals, sole traders, partnerships, independent companies, or parts of a group that are both based or planning to be based in Northern Ireland and do not exceed certain size criteria.
Size of awards
The awards are competitive, but if successful, applicants receive support of up to up to £45,000 at stage one carry out the research, and up to £150,000 at stage two of the programme over a 6-18 month period to help carry out their technical and commercial feasibility studies.
There is also a SMART Micro programme, designed for smaller projects. This offers funding of up to £10,000.
By 2006, £1m of grants was being given to applicants in Northern Ireland.
Some current and previous SMART awards recipients
- Adaptive Communication Systems - Testing, verifying and debugging complex electronic designs, based at ECIT at the Queen's University of Belfast
- Giltspur Scientific - Manufacturers of orthopaedic shoes for the treatment of lameness in dairy cows
- Haemoband Surgical – The ‘Haemoband Multi-Ligator’ for treatment of haemorrhoids
- InspecVision Ltd. - A manufacturer of computer vision inspection systems
- Integrated Silicon Systems Ltd
- Merlin Microwave Ltd
- Westlink Autogas
- Economy of Northern Ireland
- Department of Enterprise Trade and Investment
- List of Government departments and agencies in Northern Ireland
- SMART (Scottish Business Grant)
- Invest Northern Ireland SMART awards main page
- Announcement: £1m given in SMART awards from Invest NI, 2006
- Northern Irish news article on SMART awards from 2002
- Electronics Weekly article on Merlin Microwave Ltd's SMART award
- Update from InvestNI on Haemoband Surgical, former recipient of a SMART award