Quickly add a free MyWikiBiz directory listing!
Nissan QR engine
MyWikiBiz, Author Your Legacy — Friday March 07, 2014
The QR family of straight-4 piston engines by Nissan range from 2.0 L to 2.5 L in displacement. These motors are aluminum, dual overhead camshaft (DOHC), four-valve designs with variable valve timing and optional direct injection.
The 2.0 L (1998 cc) QR20DE produces 147 hp (110 kW) and 148 ft·lbf (200 N·m) The bore is 89 mm with a stroke of 80.3 mm and a compression ratio of 9.9:1.
- 2001-2007 Nissan X-Trail T30 (140 hp)
- 2001-2007 Nissan Primera P12
- 2002-present Nissan Serena C24, 145 hp (108 kW)
- 2003-2008 Nissan Teana J31, 145 hp (108 kW)
The QR20DD is similar to the QR20DE but features NEO direct injection to improve fuel economy and to reduce emissions. It produces 150 hp (110 kW).
- 2000-2004 Nissan Bluebird Sylphy
The QR25DE is a 2.5 L (2488 cc) variant built in Decherd, TN with cast steel connecting rods, a steel timing chain, counter-rotating balance-shafts, and an aluminum intake manifold. The engine bore is 89 mm with a stroke of 100 mm and a compression ratio of 9.5:1. Output is rated 175 hp (130 kW) at 6000 rpm with 180 ft·lbf (244 N·m) of torque at 4000 rpm in the Altima 2.5 and Sentra SE-R models. Altimas that are PZEV compliant create 170 hp (130 kW) and 175 ft·lbf (237 N·m) of torque. In the 2005+ Nissan Frontier the QR25DE generates 154 hp (115 kW) and 173 ft·lbf (235 N·m) of torque. More recently, in the Nissan SE-R Spec V 2007+ the QR25DE generates 200 hp (150 kW) @ 6600 rpm and 180 ft·lbf (240 N·m) of torque @ 5200 rpm with a 7000 rpm redline. The crankshaft comes fully balanced allowing removal of the counter-shafts built into the older style QR25. The newer version is also equipped with a composite intake manifold and compression has been bumped up to 10.5:1
- 2002-2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R 165hp & SE-R Spec V 175hp
- 2007-present Nissan Sentra SE-R 175hp & SE-R Spec V 200hp
- 2002-present Nissan Altima 2.5, 2.5S, 2.5SL 175hp, Hybrid 158hp
- 2001-present Nissan Serena C24, 158 hp (118 kW)
- 2001-2007 Nissan X-Trail T30 APEC export version, 178 hp (133 kW)
- 2005-present Nissan Frontier King Cab XE 4x2 154hp
- 2003-2005 Nissan Teana 160 hp (120 kW) and 240 nm
- 2008-present Nissan Rogue 170 hp (130 kW)
- 2007-present Nissan X-Trail T31 169 hp (126 kW)
- 2009-present Suzuki Equator Extended Cab 4x2 152hp
Manufacturing, design, and assembly flaws
The QR25DE sold in the United States has been subject to a significant number of problems in its short lifetime. A variety of mechanical flaws have led to numerous technical service bulletins, recalls, repairs, and outright engine replacements.
- Vehicles with the QR25DE may ingest material from a damaged pre-catalyst resulting in increased oil consumption.
- Power valve screws in the intake manifold may become loose and result in unstable idling or power loss.
- In June 2006, it came to Nissan's attention that approximately 85,000 Altimas and 2,000 Sentra SE-Rs equipped with the QR25DE and built between January and May 2006 may experience unusually high oil consumption. This can lead to premature engine failure and possibly a fire. While Nissan investigates the problem, owners of the affected vehicles are being advised to check their oil frequently (every [1127 km]), and dealers have been instructed to place the affected vehicles on sales hold.
Stated versus observed power
In addition to the physical problems suffered by the QR25DE, Nissan's official stated power and torque numbers seem to disconnect from power measurements taken by the general public. Though rated for 175 hp (130 kW) and 180 ft·lbf (240 N·m) of torque in the Nissan Altima and Sentra SE-R Spec-V, the actual power of the engine may be significantly lower. Multiple dynamometer readings performed by a range of people in an assortment of cars over several years have shown that the engine more than likely produces ~160 hp and ~170 ft·lbf of torque. Parasitic loss alone seems an unlikely candidate for the discrepancy as automatic transmission loss would be approximately 28% and manual transmission loss 19%.
However, engine dyno tests performed by Brian Crower, a respected aftermarket parts supplier, shows this engine does indeed perform very close to the advertised numbers. The high weight of the Helical Limited Slip differential which is in many models with this engine, and the very heavy dual mass flywheel likely account for the losses on traditional chassis dynos.
The QR25DD is similar to the QR25DE but increases the compression ratio to 10.5:1 and includes direct injection. It produces 170 hp (125 kW) and 181 ft·lbf (245 N·m).
- 2002-2006 Nissan Primera P12 (JDM)
NISSAN LAUNCHES ALTIMA AND SYLPHY IN THE PHILIPPINES MANILA, Philippines, March 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Nissan today announced the launch of two global sedans in the Philippines - the all-new Nissan Altima and the all-new Nissan Sylphy. The event also signals the start of operations for the company in the Philippines, marking a renewed presence for Nissan Motor Corporation in the country. To this, the all-new model adds premium design and comfort ... 6 March 2014
2015 Nissan Juke's got the love The 2015 Juke update, launched at the Geneva auto show, continues and accentuates the car's unique looks, while improving engine and cabin tech. Originally posted at 5 March 2014
Sales Surge Shows Nissan Broke Through With Annoying Rogue Ad Several weeks ago, Nissan was forced to issue a corporate apology for overwhelming NFL telecasts and other TV shows with the same advertisement for the new version of its Nissan Rogue. 4 March 2014
Nissan Passes Honda in U.S. Sales The traditional order among Japanese manufacturers that sell vehicles in America has been Toyota in the top spot and Honda in second place. The order has been shaken up recently, as Nissan has taken the ... 4 March 2014
Nissan Leads Asian Brands’ U.S. Gains as Altima Tops Camry Nissan Motor Co. (7201) led February U.S. sales gains for Asia-based carmakers, with its Altima passing Toyota Motor Corp. (TM)'s Camry so far this year amid severe winter weather that again was blamed for chilling demand. Monthly sales at Nissan rose 16 percent from a year earlier, topping the 12 percent average of six analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (7270)'s ... 3 March 2014
Nissan Leads Asian Brands’ U.S. Gains as Altima Overtakes Camry Nissan Motor Co. (7201) led February U.S. sales gains for Asia-based carmakers, with its Altima passing Toyota Motor Corp. (TM) ’s Camry so far this year amid severe winter weather that again was blamed for chilling demand. 3 March 2014
- "2007 Nissan Altima overview"
- "2007 Nissan Altima specifications"
- "2006 Nissan Altima specifications"
- "2006 Nissan Frontier specifications
- "2006 Nissan Sentra specifications"
- "Global Vehicles", by Jack Yamaguchi, "Automotive Engineering International", June 2001, retrieved June 29, 2006
- "NTB03070 Nissan technical service bulletin regarding engine precatalyst failure"
- "NTB06045 Nissan technical service bulletin regarding low oil levels"
- "NTB05058 Nissan technical service bulletin regarding power valve screws"
- "Road Test: 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R" by Josh Jacquot, "SportCompactCar", December 2001, retrieved June 26, 2006
- "Technobabble: December 2001 by Dave Coleman, "SportCompactCar", December 2001, retrieved June 26, 2006ja:日産・QRエンジン